Indian Home Remedies For Fever
Whenever the body’s temperature is higher than the normal range, it is called a fever. Although we commonly hear that 98.6 degrees F, or 37 degrees C, is considered normal, this is not a set number that applies universally to all. Normal body temperature is different for children than adults and also can vary among individuals.
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a child has a fever when his or her body temperature is higher than 99.5 degrees F, or 37.5 degrees C. An adult has a fever when his or her body temperature exceeds 99 to 99.5 degrees F, or 37.2 to 37.5 degrees C.
A fever is basically a symptom of another condition or illness. A fever can occur when your body is fighting an infection, such as the flu.
Additional reasons for a fever are a response to immunization in children, ear infections, urinary tract infections, certain inflammatory diseases, gastroenteritis, autoimmune disorders, cancer, and blood clots. Sudden change in the weather and unhygienic lifestyle may also contribute to a fever.
Some of the common symptoms associated with a fever include sweating, headache, muscle ache, dehydration, weakness, slight shivering and loss of appetite.
A fever is a good thing and usually will go away within a few days. But if a fever is making you uncomfortable, you can try some simple and easy home remedies to cool the body down and make you feel better.
However, if your fever exceeds 104 degrees F, or 40 degrees C, it can become very dangerous. During such a situation, you must immediately see a doctor.
Home remedies for fever
Here are the top 10 home remedies for fever.
1. Cool Water
Soak a wash cloth in cool tap water, wring out the excess water and then sponge areas like your armpits, feet, hands and groin to reduce the temperature.
Also, you can place cold, damp washcloths on your forehead and the back of your neck. The cloth pieces should be changed regularly after a few minutes. This remedy is beneficial when dealing with a high fever as it helps keep temperature under control.
You can also take a bath in lukewarm water to relax your body. Taking a shower, however, may not be a good idea. Plus, needless to say, take as much rest as possible as it helps the body fight the illness.
Note: Do not use very cold water as it may cause the internal body temperature to increase.
Basil is an effective herb for bringing down a fever. This herb is just as effective as many types of antibiotics in the market. Its healing properties will help reduce fever very quickly.
- Boil together 20 basil leaves and one teaspoon of crushed ginger in one cup water, until the solution gets reduced to half.
- Add a little honey and drink this tea two or three times a day for three days.
- Make a tea by mixing one teaspoon of basil with one-fourth teaspoon of pepper in one cup of boiling water.
- Steep for five minutes, and then strain and drink the tea.
- Drink it two or three times daily until you recover completely.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another very inexpensive and highly effective remedy for a fever. It helps reduce a fever quickly because the acid present in it helps draw heat out of the skin. Plus, it is rich in minerals and helps replenish minerals that get eliminated from the body due to fever.
- Add one-half cup of vinegar to lukewarm bath water.
- Soak in this water for five to 10 minutes.
- In about 20 minutes you will notice improvement.
- Repeat again when the body temperature is high.
- Soak a washcloth in a mixture of one part apple cider vinegar and two parts cool water.
- Wring out the excess solution and place it on your forehead and tummy.
- You can even wrap one around the soles of your feet.
- Once the washcloth becomes warm, change it with a new one soaked in the cool mixture.
- Repeat as often as required until the fever has reduced.
- Mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and one tablespoon of honey in a glass of water.
- Drink it two or three times a day.
The warm nature of garlic can also lower a high fever by promoting sweating. This also helps eliminate harmful toxins from the body and speed up recovery. Plus, garlic is an antifungal and antibacterial agent that helps the body fight infections as well as ward off disease.
- Finely mince one garlic clove and add it to one cup of hot water.
- Steep for 10 minutes, strain and sip it slowly.
- Drink this twice a day and you will feel much better the next day.
- Warm a mixture of two crushed garlic cloves and two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Apply this mixture over the sole of each foot, leaving a few spots uncovered.
- Wrap your feet with gauze to keep the garlic in place and leave it on overnight.
For some people, this can eliminate a fever in just one night.
Note: Garlic remedies are not recommended for pregnant ladies and small children.
Raisins help the body fight infections and reduce fevers. They are loaded with phenolic phytonutrients, which are known to have antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Also, raisins act as tonic for your body when you have a fever.
- Soak 25 raisins in one-half cup of water for one hour, or until the raisins become soft.
- Crush the soaked raisins in the water and strain the liquid.
- Add the juice of half a lime to this solution.
- Have this twice a day until your fever is gone.
Ginger helps the body expel heat, which in turn helps reduce fever. Plus, ginger is a natural antiviral and antibacterial agent and helps the immune system fight any kind of infection.
- Put two tablespoons of ginger powder in a bathtub filled with warm water and mix well.
- Soak in this water for 10 minutes.
- Pat dry your body and go to bed.
- Cover yourself completely with a blanket.
- Soon you will start sweating and your fever will come down.
Note: Perform a patch test on your forearm before taking this detoxifying ginger bath to check if it suits you.
- Make ginger tea by adding one-half teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to one cup of boiling water and letting it steep for a few minutes.
- Add some honey and enjoy this tea three or four times a day.
- Another option is to mix together one-half teaspoon of ginger juice, one teaspoon of lemon juice and one tablespoon of honey.
- Consume this mixture three or four times daily until your fever is gone.
The cooling property of mint will help keep the internal system cool and this in turn will reduce body temperature. It also helps extract excess heat from the body.
- Add one tablespoon of crushed mint leaves to one cup of hot water.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes, strain and then add some honey.
- Drink this soothing tea three or four times daily for a quick recovery.
- Boil a handful of mint leaves in two cups of water along with one-half teaspoon each of black pepper powder and long pepper powder and one teaspoon of ginger powder.
- Boil until the water gets reduced to half.
- Strain, and divide the solution into three equal doses.
- Drink it three times daily until you recover completely.
8. Egg White
You can also use egg whites to reduce the high body temperature during a fever. Egg white works like a cool gel that can absorb heat. Within half an hour, egg white can draw the fever from the head to the feet (where it can do not much damage to your body).
- Break two or three eggs and separate the yolk.
- Beat the egg white for a minute.
- Soak a paper towel or a thin handkerchief in the egg white.
- Place the soaked cloth on the soles of the feet.
- Wear socks to keep the egg white-soaked cloth in place.
- When the cloths dry out and become warm, replace them with new ones.
- Repeat until the fever is reduced to a safe level.
Turmeric has also been proven to be an excellent home remedy for a fever. The chemical compound called curcumin in turmeric contains potent antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial and antioxidant properties. This helps the immune system fight any kind of infection. It will also help prevent complications and reduce the duration of the fever.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of turmeric and one-fourth teaspoon of black pepper powder in one cup of hot milk.
- Drink this mixture twice a day to get rid of fever symptoms.
The therapeutic and cooling properties of sandalwood can help bring down fever and inflammation. In fact, sandalwood will help cool and calm the entire body and mind. It will also help get rid of a headache, one of the common symptoms associated with a fever.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of sandalwood powder and a little water to make a thick paste.
- Apply a thick coat of this paste on the forehead.
- Repeat several times a day until you get relief.
Note: Make sure to use good quality sandalwood to get the desired result.
- Drink lots of water and orange juice to prevent dehydration.
- Do not use very cold water or ice on the body.
- Take complete bed rest for one or two days.
- Consume plenty of green leafy vegetables.
- Avoid eating refrigerated foods.
- Avoid smoking as well as alcoholic drinks.
- When a pain hits, usually we will go to the medicine center to gather some pills.
Indian Home Remedies For Body Pain
Back pain, osteoarthritis, tension headaches, fibromyalgia, neck pain, and surgery-related discomfort are the normal types of pains that a person faces sometime or the other. There are several painkiller medicines available in the market but there are many home remedied that can help to manage pain of the muscles and joints and ease symptoms.
1. When a headache hits
Brew up some Rosemary; it will help you to keep the blood vessels dilated.
- Use 1 teaspoon of rosemary per cup of hot water
- cover it and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain, and sip a cup three times a day and see the change.
You can try some ginger for headaches. Ginger inhibits a substance called thromboxane A2 that can help in keeping the blood flowing on, even keel, which is essential in migraine prevention.
Grate fresh ginger into juice, nosh on Japanese pickled ginger, use fresh or powdered ginger when you cook, or nibble on a piece or two of crystallized ginger candy daily for great relief.
2. For sinus pain or pressure
If it seems like your sinus secretions are clear or white, you need a warming, drying herb such as thyme.
- Steep 1 to 2 teaspoons of dried thyme, in a cup of boiling water, for about 10 minutes to get thyme tea.
- Drink a cup of fragrant thyme tea three times a day.
Thyme is a traditional remedy for respiratory infections and it works for sure.
3. For insect bites or stings
A drop of peppermint essential oil can be rubbed into the center of a bite or sting for a quick, long-lasting relief. Peppermint helps to cool the bite so that you don’t feel like itching and thereby you can avoid scratching and increases bloodflow to the area, which helps to quickly carry off the venom. Thus the swelling can be avoided. Wash your hands properly after applying, and don’t use essential oils near your eyes because they can irritate. Don’t try this on poisonous spider or snake bites, which require immediate medical attention.
4. For toothache
- Boil one part sesame seeds with three parts water.
- Boil it until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Now let it cool.
- Then apply it directly to the aching tooth.
Sesame contains at least seven pain-relieving compounds,so you can feel the change very quickly.
- Stun the pain with cloves
- Rub a drop of clove essential oil directly on an aching tooth.
Clove oil is readily available on food stores or if you didn’t get, just wiggle a whole clove, pointed end down, next to the tooth.
Here are some natural medicines
1. Aloe vera
Heartburn, cramps, personal mood swings and even bad breath can be treated with Aloe Vera oil or gel.
2. Cinnamon powder
Cinnamon powders helps in enhancing body’s circulation and even treats and prevent hypothermia.
3. Neck pillows
Keep them at your desk, they can relieve back and neck pain after a long day at the office.
4. Neem powder
it can be used to reduce teeth and gum inflammation.
Tea is a good solution to soothe skin burns.
Turmeric spice is a natural painkiller for aches and pains.
Relief from pain of joints
Turmeric & ginger tea
Turmeric and ginger are both anti-inflammatory, and will help to give relief from joint pains. Turmeric can be taken in the form of capsules or made into tea and taken daily. Make tea by boiling water with ground ginger and ground turmeric for 15 minutes. Strain and add honey to taste and drink it daily.
Epsom salt soak
Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate which is used to give relief from pain. Soak Epsom salt in warm water and dip the painful area in it. Soak for at least for 15 minutes.
Extra virgin olive oil
Painful joints or parts can be lubricated with extra virgin olive oil by rubbing the oil twice a day on the sore parts or joints.
There are incredibly rich in Vitamin A and C which help to repair damaged tissues and to clear toxins out of the blood. These leaves contain linoleic and linoleic acid in them which have anti- inflammatory properties. Dandelion leaves can be used as salad or made as tea.
Black strap molasses drink
Blackstrap molasses is high in minerals like calcium, potassium and magnesium. These constituents regulate nerve and muscle function, and strengthen bones and also help in relieving pain of joints. Drink a tablespoon of molasses in hot water daily
White Willow Tea
White willow bark is the original aspirin before the painkiller aspirin was made. White willow is so effective in relieving pain because it contains active ingredient called silicon which is converted into the body as acetyl salicylic acid which is the main ingredient of aspirin. Make tea with white willow powder and let it simmer. Strain and add honey and lemon to make it tasty as it is otherwise bitter.
Relief from headaches
Best tips for headache relief
Dehydration can be a cause of headaches. Drink lots of water
Cold pack is very helpful to give relief from headache. Cold pack helps to constrict blood vessels and brings down inflammation which in turn reduces pressure and brings down pain.
Hot Bath/Hot Shower can be very effective at relieving headaches. The heat from the bath or shower will work to loosen pressure of the muscles.
Relief from stings bites
Treat the stung area with meat tenderizer as it contains enzymes that break down the venom, reducing swelling and inflammation.
- Make a paste of meat tenderizer powder with water and apply it on the sting and leave it for half an hour.
- Apply an aspirin paste to stop the itching. This paste can be made by crushing 2 aspirins and mixing it with water.
- Dab the paste on the sting site. The ingredients in aspirin help to neutralize the venom.
- Apply an ice pack on the sting slow the swelling. Leave the ice pack in place for up to 20 minutes.
- Papaya contains enzymes that neutralize insect venom. Simply lay a slice of papaya on the sting for an hour.
- Mix baking soda in a skin lotion and apply it on the area. The baking soda helps relieve inflammation, and the skin lotion keeps it in place
Home remedies for ear aches
Herbal Steam Inhalations helps to reduce nasal swelling caused by cold, dry winter air and increases airflow to the Eustachian tubes. Mix a handful of fresh or dry herbs such as chamomile, elderberry flowers and/or lemon balm. Inhale the steam by leaning over the basin.
Honey is another treatment to get relief from earache. The honey is swabbed gently around the perimeter of the ear canal.
Hot Herbal Tea can give warmth to the earache by drinking herbal tea made of Echinacea, German chamomile, and holy basil. This hot tea can also be applied externally outside the ear canal. These herbs promote healing and relaxation.
Hydrogen Peroxide used in the ears of young children is very effective. The easiest way to apply it is to soak a cotton ball and squeeze a few drops into the ear. This will loosen the wax, so gently flushing it afterwards with warm water will help to clear the block.