Water 1/2 cup
Evaporated cane juice or granulated sugar 1 cup
Honey 1 tablespoon
fresh lemon juice 1 tablespoon
Ground ginger 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon
Ground cloves 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon
For coating, powdered sugar or cornstarch
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper, or greasing very well. A marble slab comes in handy and helps the drops cool quickly.
- Combine the ingredients, except for powdered sugar or cornstarch, in a heavy-bottomed pot or saucepan.
- Cook to hard crack stage, about 300°F. This may take between 15-20 minutes, or longer depending on the pan and stove.
- Test by dropping a little from a spoon into a bowl of ice water. If it cracks, it’s ready. If it’s chewy, cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Be careful not to let it burn because the temperature rises quickly at the end.
- Let the mixture cool slightly.
- Drop onto baking sheet into rounds.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Dust with the powdered sugar or cornstarch.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place away from any moisture. (Moisture will cause them to stick together.)
- Alternatively, they can be dusted and wrapped individually in small pieces of waxed or parchment paper.