Ginger helps bring down inflammation, clear congestion and support the immune system.
- Drink 2-3 cups of fresh ginger tea daily.
- Freshly grated ginger root (about 2 teaspoons) in a cup of hot water is best but Yogi Teas also makes a ginger tea.
Make sure it’s local and raw. Honey has antioxidants, antiviral and antibacterial properties, boosts the immune system and soothes sore throats and coughs.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons to your ACV tea, ginger tea or just a cup of warm boiled water.
- Add some lemon for the added benefit of Vitamin C.
3. Boil Some Bones
Bone stock is packed full of nutrients, including gelatine, collagen and a whole host of vitamin and minerals to help heal and get you back on your feet. Add some garlic for its powerful anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-catarrhal properties, and some chilli, which acts as a natural decongestant. Turmeric, cinnamon and a dash of fresh ginger can also be added and will help to speed up your metabolism.
4. Warm Salt Water
Salt-water rinsing helps break nasal congestion, while also removing virus particles and bacteria from your nose.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in 8 ounces of warm water.
- Use a bulb syringe or nasal irrigation kit to squirt water into the nose.
- Hold one nostril closed by applying light finger pressure while squirting the salt mixture into the other nostril.
- Let it drain.
- Repeat two to three times, then treat the other nostril.
5. Stay Hydrated
Water, juice, clear broth or warm lemon water with honey helps loosen congestion and prevents dehydration. Avoid alcohol, coffee and caffeinated sodas, which can make dehydration worse.