Because your ankles bear the majority of your weight when you are standing, resting is the most effective home treatment you can begin. Inflammation will take much longer to subside if you do not get off your feet. Chronic overuse of your ankle may exacerbate your injury or arthritis flare-up until immobilization or surgery are your only options. Rest with your ankle elevated above your heart to calm throbbing and provide immediate pain relief.
When you are able to or must move around, support your weakened ankle with a compressive bandage, a cane or a crutch. Restricting harmful movements with a bandage offers immediate pain relief.
Experts at the National Institutes of Health endorse cold pack home treatment as an ankle pain remedy after a strain. If you have osteoarthritis, gout, osteoporosis or another bone disease, your ankle may respond better to an alternating hot-and-cold therapy.
- Use two gel packs.
- One should apply heat for 20 minutes.
- Follow it with a cold pack for 20 minutes.
4. Take A Break From Sports
When your child notices that pain is present, it is important to stop participating in sports or any activity that could strain the injury. They need to give it time to heal instead of pushing through the pain.
Simply taking a load off and allowing their feet to rest can be beneficial, especially if the feet are elevated to allow blood to move away from the area, which helps to reduce swelling.
6. . Epsom Salt
After a few days, you can soak your ankle in a warm bath with Epsom salt. It’s important to apply cold during the first few days after an injury because the application of heat may actually contribute to additional inflammation during the initial phases of healing. Epsom salt can help soothe sore muscles and connective tissues.
- You can soak your ankle once or twice a day to help reduce discomfort.
7. Turmeric powder
Turmeric not only helps to fight the inflammation, but also reduce swelling and pain, and rest the muscle so it can treat sprained ankle effectively.
- Mix turmeric powder with warm water to form paste, the better is add some lime juice and make it warm.
- Then apply it over the ankle and wrap it with a bandage.
- Let it there for at least 10 hours or overnight then remove.
- In the other hand, add 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric powder in a cup of warm milk and drink it daily until noticed any changes.
8. Garlic juice
Garlic is an instant home remedy for sprained ankle due to its anti- inflammation effect. It soothes pain, improves the healing process, and also boosts the immune system.
- Clean the affected skin with lukewarm water then dry it.
- Add 2 teaspoons of garlic juice, 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a small cup and mix them together.
- Massage the skin gently with this mixture for 10 minutes then wash it with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy twice daily for 2- 3 weeks.
- Other recommending is mix 2 teaspoons of garlic juice with 2 teaspoons of almond oil and rub the skin with it.