Scrubbing the hard, dead skin away helps a great deal in getting rid of cracked feet. Before scrubbing, soak your feet in warm soapy water to help soften the skin and make it easier to scrub.
- Before going to bed, mix some liquid soap in a foot tub filled with warm water.
- Soak your feet in this warm soapy water for about 20 minutes.
- Use a pumice stone to gently scrub off the loosened dead skin cells.
- Rinse off your feet with clean water and pat dry with a soft towel.
- Apply some foot cream or moisturizer and wear a pair of clean cotton socks overnight.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another incredible remedy for dry, cracked feet. It helps moisturize your feet and also fights fungal and bacterial infections, thanks to its antimicrobial and anti fungal properties.
- Before going to sleep, soak your feet in warm water and scrub with a loofah.
- Dry your feet thoroughly and then apply coconut oil generously on your feet.
- Put on a pair of clean, cotton socks for the night.
- The next morning, remove the socks and wash your feet.
3. Rice Flour
Exfoliating the skin on your feet and heels will help remove dead skin, thus preventing cracking and dryness. Rice flour can be used a part of a homemade exfoliating scrub.
- To make the scrub, mix a handful of ground rice with a few teaspoons of honey and apple cider vinegar.
- Stir it until it becomes a thick paste. If the cracking on your heels is extremely bad, add a tablespoon of olive oil or sweet almond oil.
- Soak your feet in warm water for 10 minutes and then gently scrub them with the rice flour paste.
- Repeat the process a few times a week until you are satisfied with the results.
The acidic property in lemons can be very effective in softening rough skin that leads to cracking.
- Soak your feet for 10 to 15 minutes in warm water with lemon juice added to it.
- Avoid using very hot water, which can cause your feet to dry out more.
- Scrub your cracked heels using a pumice stone.
- Wash your feet and pat dry with a towel.
Honey has moisturizing and antibacterial properties, making it an excellent treatment for dry and cracked heels.
- Stir one cup of honey in a foot tub filled with warm water.
- Soak your feet in the water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Scrub your feet gently.
- Do this daily or several times a week until you see improvement.