1. Avoid Foods High in Histamine
Histamine is a chemical found naturally in the body that plays a role in the immune, digestive and nervous systems. It’s also found in certain foods like aged cheeses, fermented food, beer, wine, smoked fish and cured meats. Studies suggest consuming histamine may cause migraines in those who are sensitive to it. Some people are not able to excrete histamine properly because they have impaired function of the enzymes responsible for breaking it down. Cutting histamine-rich foods from the diet may be a useful strategy for people who get frequent headaches.
2. Use Essential Oils
Essential oils are highly concentrated liquids that contain aromatic compounds from a variety of plants. They have many therapeutic benefits and are most often used topically, though some can be ingested. Peppermint and lavender essential oils are especially helpful when you have a headache. Applying peppermint essential oil to the temples has been shown to reduce the symptoms of tension headaches.Meanwhile, lavender oil is highly effective at reducing migraine pain and associated symptoms when applied to the upper lip and inhaled.
3. Ice Pack
Placing a cold compress like an ice pack on your forehead will numb the pain, help shrink the blood vessels and improve circulation to the area. This particular remedy works well for headaches due to stress or sinus problems.
Wrap some ice cubes or crushed ice in a thin towel. Hold it against your forehead for a few minutes. A bag of frozen vegetables can also serve as an icepack. Never apply ice directly on your skin as it can damage the skin.
Alternatively, apply a cold cloth on your head and temples for 10 minutes and repeat the process for some time until you get relief.
4. Apply An Apple Cider Vinegar Compress
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has a long history in realm of natural remedies. It’s been used to relieve everything from scurvy to hay fever, and just about any other ailment that falls in between. Some modern day studies have proven its effectiveness in treating certain illnesses, but most of its clout lies in the reports of people throughout the centuries who have benefited from it. If you find yourself coming down with a throbbing headache, try getting some quality ACV time into your day in the form of a steam-style treatment.
- 1/4 cup of ACV
- Roughly 3 cups of boiling water
- 1 cup of fresh cool water
- Pour ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar into a large bowl, and then fill the bowl halfway with boiling water.
- Place a towel over your head so that it drapes over the bowl, trapping the steam, and hold your face over it.
- Make sure your face isn’t so close that it gets burned by the steam.Do this for 5-10 minutes, or when the water starts to cool down, breathing in and out deeply the whole time.
- When you’re done, use the towel to pat your face dry, and go drink a glass of cool water.
5. Detox Bath to Reduce Tension
A detox isn’t just for cleaning your body, but also for ridding your body of toxins that will make you sick and can be one of the best preventative headache remedies. To bring toxins to the surface of your skin, make the water as hot as you can tolerate; then, as you sit in the cooling water, the your body will release the toxins.
You can dress up your detox bath to boost its tension-reducing capabilities:
- Add a cup of baking soda to hot bath water. Baking soda kills bacteria, leaves your skin clean and smooth, and minimizes skin irritability making it a handy and inexpensive product.
- Add essential oil to your bath water , there are so many surprising essential oil uses and benefits. The soothing, calming, invigorating and cooling qualities of these oils will release any pent-up tension that your body is holding on to, offering pain relief. Try lavender, peppermint, lemongrass, frankincense or sandalwood oil.
- Add two cups of apple cider vinegar to hot bath water. The ACV draws excess uric acid out of the body, and it provides joint pain, arthritis, gout and headache relief. ACV can also soothe sunburn, heal poison ivy, kill fungus and tone your skin so there are some extra health benefits to this easy headache remedy.