1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains vitamins, enzymes and amino acids that help inhibit the growth of candida. It also has anti-inflammatory, anti-irritating and antifungal properties that help control and treat vaginal thrush.
A 2012 study published Mycoses journal found that aloe vera fresh leaves plant extract can help reduce the growth and germ tube formation of Candida albicans.
Prepare aloe vera juice by
- Blending together 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and 1 cup of orange juice or just plain water.
- Drink this aloe vera juice once daily for a few days.
- You can also extract the gel from an aloe leaf and apply it to the affected area a few times daily until the infection clears.
- Make sure to wash the aloe leaves thoroughly before use. Also, do not drink aloe juice in excess as it may cause gastrointestinal discomfort.
2. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is a fatty oil derived from the flesh of the coconut. The oil has many health benefits, including antifungal properties. Studies have shown that coconut oil is effective against C. albicans, making this home remedy one of the few with strong evidence that it actually works.
To treat a vaginal yeast infection using coconut oil, be sure to buy pure, organic coconut oil. You can apply the oil directly to the affected area. For more detailed instructions, see here.
3. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is an essential oil that’s used to kill fungi, bacteria, and viruses. Research shows that a vaginal suppository containing tea tree oil may help treat vaginal infections. Tea tree oil is also believed to help maintain a healthy balance of flora in the vagina.
Tea tree oil is incredibly powerful. Dilute it with a carrier oil such as jojoba or coconut oil if you’re going to use it as a vaginal suppository. Only use tea tree oil occasionally, and never swallow it.
Garlic is another effective herbal remedy to treat mild to moderate vaginal thrush. It has a natural anti-fungal property that helps control the growth of yeast and hence provides relief from uncomfortable symptoms.
- Take a clove of fresh garlic and peel off the natural, white paper shell that covers it.
- At bedtime, put the clove into the vagina.
- The next morning, remove the garlic clove and clean the vagina with lukewarm water.
- Do this once daily for 2 or 3 days.
- Eat a few fresh garlic cloves daily and also include it in your cooking.
- You can take garlic tablets or supplements, after consulting your doctor.